ryman auditorium

from johnny cash posted in music


ryman auditorium
116 fifth ave. n
nashville, tennessee 37219

get directions...

add details to this location
add this location to a collection

add to a collection

You must be signed in to add to a collection.

Sign in or Register

posted by pete_nice #

flag as inappropriate

Built in 1892, The Ryman Auditorium was designed by architect Hugh Cathcart Thompson and funded by riverboat captain and saloon owner Thomas Ryman. Originally called The Union Gospel Tabernacle, it's original purpose was a multi-function church/tabernacle for the famed revivalist preacher Samuel Porter Jones.

The auditorium was renamed Ryman after his death in 1904. The popular radio show The Grand Ole Opry was broadcast at this location from 1943 to 1974 (until it moved to it's current location at the Opryland USA theme park outside of Nashville).

Johnny Cash first met June Carter here in 1956 during a show when they were both performing (Cash with the Tennessee Two and June with the Carter family).

In 1965, Cash was performing for the Grand Ole Opry when his mic stand broke. Upset, he dragged the stand across the floor lights, causing them to explode (some say he kicked out a few as well).

Cash patched up things, and later filmed The Johnny Cash Show for ABC from 1969 to 1971.

The Ryman Auditorium was placed on National Register for Historic Places in 1971, and was further designated a National Historic Landmark in 2001.

Ryman Auditorium, photo: cliff1066