popturf

cold war, nuclear weapons

posted in history

nike missile site ms-70

from cold war, nuclear weapons posted in history by prof_improbable

During the Cold War from 1959 until 1972, the Twin Cities were protected by four missile battery sites. This is one of those four locations. The actual Nike-Hercules missile (or a reproduction of one) can be seen in a park in nearby St. Bonifacius.

The missiles were stored on underground rails and were brought to the surface by elevators. They were meant to bring down long-range enemy bombers.

All of the Nike sites were decommissioned on Feb. 4th, 1978.

view full location details...