posted in art and design
from alfred stieglitz posted in art and design by prof_improbable
On November 24, 1905, the photographer Alfred Stieglitz opened a photography gallery originally known as the "Little Galleries of the Photo-Secession."
One of the first permanent photo-galleries in New York City, it closed its doors in 1908, reopening later that year as simply "291." Stieglitz organized some of the first American showings by artists such as Rodin and Matisse. From this location, he published his legendary photo journal Camera Work, and twelve issues of 291. In June 1917, Stieglitz closed down the 291.